Electrical power engineeringLightning protection
VUM has developed a computer program for designing and assessing external lightning protection systems using the rolling sphere method (LPED – Lightning Protection Evaluation and Design). The program was designed with MATLAB and shows a 3-dimensional representation of the rolling spheres and the protected zones, as well as a 2-dimensional floor plan representation, which is usually more useful than 3-d graphics.
VUM has developed a program for designing and reviewing external lightning protection systems using the rolling sphere method (LPED – Lightning Protection Evaluation and Design). The program was designed with MATLAB and enables the 3-dimensional representation of the rolling spheres, protected areas and protected objects. It also provides a clear 2-dimensional floor plan representation.
- Examination of external lightning protection system of high-voltage substations and high-voltage overhead lines according to applicable standards and guidelines:
- ÖVE ÖNORM EN61936-1 (power installations with nominal AC voltages over 1 kV, part 1: general provisions)
- ÖVE ÖNORM EN62305-3 (lightning protection, part 3: protection of structures and people)
- ÖVE R 1000-2 (essential requirements for electrical systems, part 2: lightning protection systems)
- ÖVE R 1000-3 (essential requirements for electrical systems, part 3: high-voltage systems)
- Verification of the dimensions of high-voltage substations and the external lightning protection system using terrestrial laser scanning
- Design of external lightning protection systems
- Development of corrective measures if external lightning protection systems do not fulfil the requirements